Get ready for a glorious gigglefest as you channel your inner child!
Aerial yoga incorporates silk hammocks into a traditional yoga class to raise your attitude to a whole new altitude. It is just downright fun and will make you laugh like a child again!
Yoga Power offers an array of classes making aerial yoga suitable for everyone from beginners to advanced yogis. While your body is working towards fitness, the yoga hammock supports half your body weight making it 50% easier than normal yoga. Once you feel you are stronger in your practice, you are then able to begin taking more of the weight on to your own body rather than relying solely on the hammock's assistance.
The hammock is a great and safe way to learn balancing poses by having something to hold on to for support. In traditional yoga classes on the floor, only a small number of students are able to do advanced poses, such as scorpion or handstand, which are a result of many years of yoga practice, dedication and endurance. The beauty of this style of yoga is 95% of students can do these advanced poses in the hammock in their first or second class! Aerial yoga is the easiest, most effective tool to use while building up the strength, stamina and endurance to progress towards a standing floor pose if that is what you are aiming for.
Please pre-register online for your aerial yoga class. Arrive 15 minutes before the class start time to get your hammock adjusted to your height. No late arrivals because it takes time to set up hammocks and it is a distraction to the instructor and other class members. Our aerial yoga classes usually sell out so we remind you of our cancellation policy outlined on our FAQ page.
Here are guidelines to make your aerial yoga class more enjoyable:
- No jewelry, especially rings!
- Put bandaids over piercings.
- No perfumes.
- Wear shirts with sleeves that cover armpits so the fabric won't chafe your skin.
- Tie up long hair but don't use sharp hair clips that may tear the silks.
- Remove face makeup.
- You must have a yoga mat to put under your hammock.
- Bring your water bottle.
- A towel may be helpful to wipe your hands if needed.
- Cotton or cotton blend fabric is best (non-slippery).
- Wear fitted clothing. Remember you will be upside down at times so tuck in your shirt and no loose shorts.
- Avoid clothing with zippers, buttons or dangling straps — anything that can catch or snag on the silk hammock.
- Men should wear fitted shorts, like bike shorts.
- Long, opaque leggings are better than shorts for women.
- Sticky socks are nice to help you climb the fabric and stop when you touch the floor.
- Wear sticky gloves if you have a weak grip.
- Listen to your body & its limitations.
- We don't believe in stupid questions so ask away!
- Be patient and gentle with yourself – just by showing up you are victorious!
- Age 14+ is the optimal age for aerial classes.
- Children ages 9 - 13 should be accompanied by a parent. We recommend parents to participate in the class. However, we will offer parents a seat in the aerial room if they choose not to take the class.
- Aerial Yoga has a minimum age limit of 9 years old.
Anyone with the following conditions should seek medical advice before pursuing aerial yoga: Pregnancy, glaucoma, recent surgery (esp. shoulder, eyes, back, hips, hands or wrist), heart disease, very high or low blood pressure, motion sickness, easy onset vertigo, osteoporosis / bone weakness, recent head injury, cerebral sclerosis, propensity for fainting, carpal tunnel syndrome, severe arthritis, sinusitis or head cold, hiatal hernia, disc herniation or acute discogenic disease, recent stroke, artificial hips, radiculitis (inflammation of nerve root in spine), severe muscle spasms, botox injections (within 6 hours).
The hammocks have been anchored in the ceiling by a professional contractor and are rated to hold at least 1000 pounds.
Aerial Class descriptions are as follows: